Saturday, June 6, 2009

Farmer's Market Bounty




I just could not wait to write about the wonderful things I found at the Denton Farmer's Market today. When I see the first table, or in this case tailgate of a beat up pickup, I get so excited, and worried that someone might buy things that I want for the restaurant. I become very protective of every squash and onion I see. Looking quickly down the row to gauge what is available, I can then take my time to pick out the best of what there is to offer. Scooping up the last of the early summer cucumbers and late spring garlic,before anyone else even has a chance, thank you. Those are mine! It is a full on contact sport, don't be fooled, I go knowing full well that I might come back with an empty wallet, a market bag overflowing and perhaps a bloody knee!

However, there are some things you don't do at the farmers market. You don't try to pay with a debit card. Come on people! You don't haggle over prices. These guys work hard for what they offer and they are probably already underpricing what they have, and you don't buy from those guys with tons of boxes of tomatoes from Chile in the back of their U-Haul! Those tomatoes are not local!

Some polite do's..... You can ask where their farm is, they are only too happy to tell you. Sometimes this may take more than a few minutes, location, acreage, what is coming out of the ground soon, but it is part of the charm of our little farmer's market.
Do bring your own market bag, or at least use one bag from a vender to fill up from everyone else, do try to buy at least one thing from every local vender, and if the beet greens look a little wilted it is OK to ask if they have anymore in the back (i.e, the floorboard of the truck, under the table or coming tomorrow).

Today's Treasures are leeks, onions, garlic ( I am thinking of a totally local three onion soup!)
Daikon radishes, yellow squash and cucumbers ( Roasted Daikon Scallops with squash frittata and curry cucumber yogurt ) and
Round Zucchini- sliced thin and fried , layered with cheese and bacon ( we are in Texas, it will sell). Enjoy!

Chef Sheena

No comments:

Post a Comment