Saturday, April 17, 2010

Found Local - Chinese Amaranth


Being part of a community garden certainly has its perks, the least of which is the wonderful hospitality most gardeners share with their neighbors in spreading around the wealth of fruits and vegetables from one plot to the next!

This Asian green may be the exception however, it seems that every plot in my Community Garden has been blessed with its spreading, sprouting, sort-of-taking-over everything sensibility! Recently my garden plot neighbor asked me if I knew what it was and I did not right away, but he gave me a clue, saying that an Asian lady once had a plot there and ever since this stuff has been growing like wildfire. A little searching on the internet gave me my answer so I quickly removed some of the beautiful purple tinged shoots and brought them home to my personal garden for continued propagation...it seems the Community Gardeners do everything they can to get rid of the "mystery greens", and I am hoping to spread the word.

These are going to be great for my next 100 mile dinner!
Chinese amaranth or Asian Spinach with local butter and dried chili...mmmm!

No comments:

Post a Comment