Monday, April 19, 2010

Found Wild- Milkweed Shoots



photos via Beekman1802.com

I've got a secret. A secret field away from the traffic, but still in the city. In a secret meadow, down a secret trail leading away from a not so secret very public place!

I used to live by this secret field and I know its every curve of wood and every seasonal whim.
I know when the wild jonquils bloom in late winter. I know when the blackberries are ripe in Summer and when the golden rod blooms in Fall. AND I know when the milk weed shoots are up in Spring and that is right NOW!

I have milk-weed shoots for my 100 mile dinner!

I love to forage and there is nothing better than living off of the land around you, but foragers must be mindful of giving away their secret haunts...you will never hear a Morel Mushroom Forager telling tales at the bar after a good day of hunting. Oh, it may have been a Molly Moocher all right, but where he found it, you will never know!

Also, a responsible forager must remember to leave all plants the ability to re-produce...but that's just being a good Girl Scout!

No comments:

Post a Comment